Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How all This Got Started

It was Saturday, December 13, 2008 when I was flying back from the Dale Carnegie International Convention in Vancouver, BC. I was seated next to a delightful young man who immediately began practicing Mr. Carnegie’s principles. He started off in a friendly way and introduced himself to me with a firm handshake. I quickly learned that Michael was on his way home to Pittsburgh from Seattle, WA where he was job hunting. His vision is to move to the Seattle area, work in the field of marketing while developing plans to eventually own and operate his own business. Wow, was I impressed! At only 22 years old, this young man has aspirations and goals that some 40 year olds I work with don’t even have!

Being one who takes every opportunity to learn something new, I was curious about what was important to him when it came to selecting a future employer. Michael was so comfortable with himself and his ability to connect with others, I was ready to put him to work for Dale Carnegie in Pittsburgh!


We talked further about his Job search and what specifically Gen Y’ers want from their employers. Here is what Michael told me he wants to know:


What is your development plan for me?
How will you execute this development?
What are the next steps in my career path with the organization?
How long will it take for me to get there?
Besides my defined position in the company, what other ways will I be allowed to contribute to the organization?


Based on the seminars I have attended, discussions with my colleagues and and the work I have done with clients, Michael’s requirements are very much the norm in today’s emerging workforce.
Next, I began to inquire of my Gen Y seat mate why I would want to start a blog. It only took but a few minutes for me to realize I was talking to someone who knew his stuff. Michael iterated reason after reason as to why I need to blog and of course convinced me this was a good idea that would only help me expand the depth and breadth of my Internet presence. At this point, I am still thinking Michael should join us in Carnegie, but I digress.


So, here I am. What lessons have I learned from this experience? Well for one, we should all be as ambitious as my friend Michael…I am looking forward to the day I can say “I knew him when…” After spending 5 days with the global leaders from Dale Carnegie and Associates, I was inspired by those who earned sales awards for their production. Now, after meeting Michael I am encouraged that I too can succeed as my colleagues have!


Another lesson I learned is that technology was passing me by; I decided right then I would not be left behind! When it comes to technology I know just enough to be dangerous. Yes, I have a Linked In account yet I don’t use it as a marketing tool. Today, I have resolved my new years resolution; I will make the most of my Linked In network to make more business connections.

And finally, the last lesson I learned was Generation Y is nothing to be afraid of. For the longest time I believe I was not able to “relate” to them. Heck, I am 40 years old, what would I talk to a 22 year old about?! Michael and I shared out tastes in music by trading ipods set to our “favorite” song. His music was not weird, or strange or way too “out there” for me. It was quite interesting. I have concluded that Generation Y is as smart, aggressive and talented as the rest of the world and they bring a lot to the table!

My advice; get to know a member of generation Y, you too will learn what you don’t already know!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tina!

    It was a pleasure meeting you as well and we will definitely have to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology can never pass you by. It does not make friend nor does it influence people. YOU did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, Thank you for your blog post!!! What advice would have for someone that is extremely ambitious and starts things off strong but gradually loses hope and motivation?

    ReplyDelete